Open House August 20! RSVP here
As we move forward in our preparations to open our Westchester campus for Fall 2019, please join us in welcoming Lynne Henwood to the FlexSchool Leadership Team as the Opening Head of School for the Bronxville location.
Lynne Henwood has been advocating for and serving the needs of gifted and twice-exceptional learners for over 7 years as a gifted teacher and program coordinator for Washington Township Schools in Morris County, New Jersey. In this role, Lynne designed and implemented strengths-based, student-driven programs throughout the district. Lynne graduated from Dickinson College with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and earned her Gifted Education Certificate from Rutgers University, where she serves on the Gifted Education Advisory Board. Currently, Lynne is pursuing a master’s degree in Educational Psychology from the University of Connecticut Neag School of Education with a concentration in giftedness, creativity, and talent development. In 2018, Lynne was named New Jersey’s Gifted Teacher of the Year and is the 2019 Mensa Foundation’s Gifted Education Fellowship Award winner. She currently serves as President of the New Jersey Association for Gifted Children, where she continues to educate teachers, administrators, and legislators about the importance of recognizing and meeting the needs of our gifted population. As a parent of four uniquely gifted children, Lynne understands that all children need to feel valued, accepted, and respected. Lynne brings her deep knowledge of the social, emotional, academic needs of gifted children along with her curiosity and passion for learning to the FlexSchool community.
We recently discovered the wonderful Concordia College campus and, ultimately, our partnership with some extraordinarily creative educators who have offered us a permanent home in Bronxville. This is where our conversations have taken us so far:
• We are invited to establish our initial school in a private section of a residence hall, with our own entrance, an easy pick-up and drop off location, and all of the amenities we need to begin the 2019-20 school year. As our population grows, we will move into our own larger dedicated space on campus.
• We are collaborating with Concordia’s leadership to eventually create a dual enrollment curriculum to allow our students to take college-level courses and earn college credits while still in high school. There will be an extra charge for these courses.
• We continue to collaborate with our friend Marc Sickel at Fitness for Health, and we anticipate that he will also be joining in our partnership with Concordia but the details have not been finalized yet.
• Our location offers us access to outdoor space for physical education and a beautiful campus and neighborhood for walks.
• Graduate students in special education at Concordia will do training hours at FlexSchool. We are excited by the benefits for our students and the prospect of preparing the next generation of teachers to bring 2e knowledge into other educational environments!
Thank you as always for your patience and flexibility as we work together to establish our new campus. Please feel free to reach out with questions, suggestions, and concerns. We always love to hear from you. You may reach Lynne via email at Lynne@flexschool.net