Start date: Open
Location: Tri-State Area
The mission of FlexSchool is to create spaces where gifted and twice-exceptional students all over the world are accepted, valued, and supported.
FlexSchool is currently seeking a Head of School for a campus opening in the Northern New Jersey/Westchester County area.
The role of the Head of School is to create an inspiring and dynamic learning environment, where young people and adults thrive. Leading with kindness, care, encouragement, and respect, the Head demonstrates a relentless commitment to nurture the unique potential of gifted and twice-exceptional students. The Head embodies a growth mindset and is curious, proactive, flexible and deeply self-aware. They understand that learning happens everywhere: in the classroom, the cloud and the community and they eagerly incorporate these multiple ways of learning in the student experience. The Head oversees all functions of their small school campus including the instructional program, school environment, student academic and wellness support and the operational and fiscal health of the school with a deliberate awareness of the interconnectedness of the growing FlexSchool network on these functions. The Head will lead a successful team of educators and staff in their school in pursuit of the FlexSchool vision.
You lead with your core values. You know yourself well and you have strong values that guide your work and life. You believe in the unique potential of every person and welcome the opportunity to assist others in discovering their passions and gifts. You exhibit humility and integrity. You thrive on feedback and continuous learning and build this into the culture at the school.
You understand that transformation happens through meaningful relationships. You are positive, curious and strengths-oriented. People like being around you. You are real and develop relationships built on respect and trust. You instill confidence in others. You understand that people thrive in cultures built on trust and safety and create a school culture which invites intellectual and emotional risk-taking.
You understand the unique needs of gifted and 2e students. You are drawn to work with complex learners and are energized to discover what enables each student to reach their highest potential. You are inspired by young people and feel passionate about guiding them on their journey to adulthood.
You co-create a highly engaged, happy and productive school team. Faculty and staff are eager to work with and learn from you. You attract and retain exceptional talent. You promote a culture of collaborative practice within your school and across the broader FlexSchool network.
You are an excellent communicator. You are warm and welcoming and demonstrate understanding and authenticity in your communication. You tell the truth, even when it is hard to do.
You find early-stage organizations motivating. You know we are in the early stages of our development and don’t have it all figured out. You are excited to come in at the ground level and are willing to do whatever it takes to co-create a successful learning environment.
The Head of School has the comprehensive responsibility for all activities of the school involving students, faculty, families and cross-campus collaboration including:
- Embody, manifest, and advocate for the mission and vision of the school.
- Oversee and manage budget.
- Support and enhance the school’s culture of compassion and mindfulness.
- Grow the educational commitment to individualized, strength-based learning, and personally seek out new opportunities for learning.
- Serve as the primary parent contact.
- Recruit, support and retain an engaging and successful faculty and staff.
- Engage families throughout their experience with FlexSchool.
- Cultivate a network in the local and regional community and develop mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Oversee the development and utilization of a comprehensive learning plan, “road map” for each student.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
Experience working with complex learners including gifted and twice exceptional students and knowledge of their unique learning, social-emotional and relational needs.
- Demonstrated commitment to a leadership model that emphasizes collaboration, cooperation, respect, flexibility, and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to skillfully communicate, including the ability to listen well, speak clearly, and write effectively for the appropriate audience.
- Experience solving complex problems, and the ability to maintain composure under stress.
- Demonstrated ability to gracefully manage the demands of a fast-paced environment, and follow through on your commitments.
- Exhibits maturity, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Experience successfully leading adults including direct management and supervision.
- Background in any or all of the following: education, working with gifted and twice exceptional students, mental health, special education, counseling.
We offer a competitive compensation package.
Commitment to Diversity
FlexSchool does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Interested applicants may submit a resume and schedule an exploratory conversation with Maryellen Butke by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .