Position: Full and Part-Time Teachers
Reports to: Head of School
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Rockville, MD
FlexSchool is a learning community for the neurodiverse. From the Founder to the youngest student, we learn from each other and the world every day. Our students are gifted and/or twice-exceptional meaning they process information differently so the standard school model often doesn’t work well for them. FlexSchool works to remove the roadblocks to learning and works to put supports in place so our students can succeed.
We are looking for teachers who live outside the box and think quirky is beautiful.
Much like our students find their tribe when attending FlexSchool, our employees often feel the same. Our culture is full of open, collaborative, bright, funny, and warm individuals. A common statement made by our teachers is, ”I was this kid when I was in school and I wish FlexSchool existed then!”
FlexSchool teachers are creative, enthusiastic, curious individuals who enjoy a challenge and working with gifted young people who may also struggle with some learning differences. The ability to be flexible is truly essential in a FlexSchool classroom. Instruction includes small seminars for personalized learning and acceleration when necessary.
You really enjoy being part of a team. FlexSchool is a highly collaborative environment as teachers work with each other, the Head of School, learning specialists, and other FlexSchool campuses to create lessons and plans that allow each student to academically soar. Professional development is an ongoing learning process from a trained staff of professionals.
- Consistently promote the mission and vision of FlexSchool.
- Implement the school’s philosophy of progressive and personalized education for gifted and twice-exceptional children;
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Implement curriculum and instructional activities driven by student learning styles and multiple assessment alternatives, and maintain complete records and portfolios of student work to illustrate and record progress and achievement.
- Empower students to take charge of their learning by providing all necessary materials, resources, and by maintaining a high level of expectation for each student’s success.
- Collaborate with other FlexSchool campuses to plan, integrate, and facilitate cross-curricular, inquiry-based projects across all subject areas.
- Meet with parents/guardians to provide feedback on the student’s progress at scheduled parent-teacher conferences,
- Participate in all training and staff development training and activities, including reading required books and articles.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
We are looking for subject experts (especially math, sciences, English language arts) with some teaching background, though it need not have been in a school setting. While a subject expert will often have a bachelor, masters, or Ph.D., we are willing to speak to subject experts without a degree who have extensive experience in their field.
Experience with students who are gifted or who have learning differences is a plus.
We train and provide ongoing support for the teaching team using nationally-recognized gifted, 2e and LD experts.
We offer a competitive compensation package.
Commitment to Diversity
FlexSchool does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Interested applicants may submit a resume and schedule an exploratory conversation with Towanda Cofield, Head of School.